Saturday, March 13

Ok, well...

As everyone already knows, I am having surgery March 16 at St. Vincent’s. I have to be there at 5:00 AM and they said they would take me back about 7:30. I have a small tumor on my brain that I have known about for a few years. It was found “accidentally” when I started having headaches and was sent for an MRI, although the tumor is not what causes my headaches. I have most likely had it since birth. At first I was told that it would never really grow and I would probably never have to have it removed. My pregnancy seemed to set it off and it has grown by about 30% within the last couple of years. It is not affecting me in any way right now, but could start at any point. My surgeon (Dr. Krisht) feels confident that this is a benign tumor, but that will be checked after it is removed. The surgery should be relatively simple (if that can be said for a brain surgery) and, in my doctor’s words, “If you are going to have a brain tumor, this is where you want to have it.” The surgery should only last a few hours and I should be in the hospital less than a week, provided there are no complications. My total recovery time/time off work is a minimum of 8 weeks.